The term biofeedback (feedback) is the method by which we can give the patient an opportunity to monitorize and understand the process of movement of its members injured, and then complete his rehabilitation and repair the muscle relaxation and consequently reduce the pains. In short ,we can say that this is an educational process especially when the patient through the brain and the body learns to lead and execute the movements.
Biofeedback is indicated for:
• strength- training and exercise
• post-operative rehabilitation
• improve and increase the range of motion of joints (ROM)
• for stimulation and muscle recovery after surgery
• increase local blood circulation
• problems of cervical-thorace-back pain
• to reduce hypertonia (muscle spasms).
Most of the functions of our body are autonomous or unconscious, beyond our control and often not easily understandable. But can these functions with specific machines be measured and recorded to be indirectly visible or audible.? Using the method Biofeedback (BF) to a patient is taught to control various biological functions of his body by using special machines for their registration.
The application of BF needs the absolute participation (active) of the brain, the involvement of the patient must be trained to control various biological functions and responses, such as muscle spasms, skin temperature, blood pressure, heart rate , brain waves, breathing, etc.. The malfunctioning of these vital functions can 'lead to various problems and disease and are measured electronically, which will immediately inform the patient with audio-visual digital signals. The patient receives through specific electrodes informations (feedback) about what happens to his/her body. Electrical impulses are recorded and displayed in a graphic display (visual) or sound (sound). The purpose of the education therapy with biofeedback is to teach the patient to check his skills, his attempts to change the intensity of a biological function to the desired level. The whole process takes about 30 to 60 minutes.
• Chronic pain caused by:
arthritis - muscle spasms - back pain-pain in the neck, etc..
• tension headache or migraine.
Syndrome of spasm of the jaw and temporomandibular joint.
• Strengthening and rehabilitation of muscles after an injury-surgery-and the diseases of the nervous system
• Stress, anxiety, insomnia
• The fatigue and depression.
• The control of incontinence of urine
• Increase joint range of motion (ROM)
• Reduction of muscle spasms (hypertonia)
• Perhaps patients with pacemakers.
TYPES OF BIOFEEDBACK
• There are the electromyography biofeedback (EMG-BF) for musculoskeletal and neuromuscular syndromes.
• Thermal BF (BF thermal)
• Biofeedback heart
• biofeedback electroencephalographic (EEG-BF)
• Respiratory biofeedback (A-BF)